Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Faction Before Blood

In Divergent, Tris is having a dilemma discovering where she is on the scale of the factions. She was originally in Abnegation, which teaches not to be selfish, and to do good for others. Tris has sneaked her way into Dauntless and is trying immensely to pick up on their tactics and traits and is eagerly trying to become one of them. It is difficult for Tris to let go of her Abnegation traits so leniently because she has worked so hard to build them up so they set Abnegation perfectly. As much as she fights, she will always have traits that she learned from being in Abnegation.

When Tris was reunited with Caleb, he said that he "wants to call her a betrayer." I think that because since they are so close, he can't bring himself to call her that.  "Have you ever heard of faction before blood?" he said to Tris. Tris is trying very hard to adapt to these new Dauntless lifestyles and she tries to act as if her family was never her family. She truly knows that she dearly loved her family and she misses them with all her heart. Tris is trying to be tough and backfire at Caleb's hurtful comments because that's the only way she'll be able to survive in Dauntless.

I can connect to Tris's situation with Caleb because sometimes, when talking to friends from elementary school, they comment on how much I've changed from fifth grade. I get very agitated when they express these thoughts because everyone has changed. The whole school environment has completely changed and we hang out with completely different types of people. I have recognized the fact that I have changed because of middle school. Sometimes I reminisce about the days in elementary school when I had a level of innocence that I don't have anymore. I feel like I have some traits and quirks that I will have forever. But as time goes on, interacting with different types of people will change your perspective, sometimes in a positive way and sometimes in a negative way.

1 comment:

  1. I really like your response Pia! I absolutely agree with you, and noticed while I was reading, that Tris is having trouble finding herself. I realized that she kept saying that she isn't Abnegation anymore and that she has become a Dauntless. However, on the other hand, she then says she will always be Abnegation and that those traits she had when she was Abnegation will always be with her. I love how you added your own personal ending to your response and i totally know what you mean by changing! Great writing!
    Molly 809

    ReplyDelete