Tuesday, December 18, 2012

In divergent a huge topic came up. That topic is fear. it really interested me when Four  said "But becoming fearless isn't the point. That's impossible. It's learning  how to control your fear, and how to be free from it, that's the point." This really made me think because I never thought about it that way. I used to think that once I got over my fear, I would become fearless until another fear replaced it. But now that I think about it, what Four said is correct.

When I have a fear, I become really scared about it.  When I get over that fear, I'm
not  that scared about it anymore and when I'm reminded of that fear or when I encounter it, I don't end up freaking out about it like I probably would have done before because I already controlled my fear so I know how to react to it. I think that is really the only way to solve your fears. By controlling it because I think that you never are able to get rid of a fear because your mind has already gotten to know the fear as a bad thing so whenever you encounter that fear anywhere, you still might be a little scared when you see it. For example, last year during spring break me, my brother and our friend were robbed. For a while I was kind of scared to go outside because the robbery happened only two blocks away from my house and I was scared that the 3 guys that robbed us would come back to harm us because we had them arrested. So me, my brother and my friend layed low for a while. After a while I stop being scared and was able to go outside and do things again but til this day I still don't step foot in that school playground anymore because I'm a little nervous that they might come back.

I think that Beatrice has controlled one of her fears. I think that fear is that she's scared to be alone. Earlier in the book she said she would rather be dead than factionless because she wants to fit in with people. Also, when she was going through the simulation with the crows, I think the main reason she was scared was because she was alone and had no one there and she must have felt that she needed people there to help her. But as the story goes on I think that Beatrice becomes more independent and she can spend more time alone than she could have before. I think its a good thing that she becomes independent because I think that when your alone, you can think better and I think Beatrice just needs some time to think.

No comments:

Post a Comment